Saturday, November 7, 2009

Captain's Log November 5, 2009

Captain's Log November 5, 2009
Sorry about the delay in getting the rest of the report for this passage done. We arrived back in Opua, New Zealand at 1:30 AM Thursday morning. We had a beautiful last 2 cruising days on the water. We would have liked to have had a little more wind but you have to be careful what you wish for. As we rounded North Cape (north end of New Zealand) we had an interesting experience.

The winds were very light but the seas were flat calm. We thought that with the seas so calm just a little wind would allow us to sail. We turned the engine off and put the sails out and started sailing. After about an hour we were not making much progress so we decided to put the sails away and motor the rest of the way in. When I attempted to start the engine it wouldn't start. We started going through the check list of things that could prevent it from starting and still had no luck. At just about this moment I got a call on the radio from the New Zealand Navy. I also noticed across the water a Navy warship headed toward our position at flank speed. The Navy radio operator asks us where we were coming from and where we were going. I might add here don't ever think you can sneak into New Zealand waters without being noticed they are watching from the air and sea. After a few more standard questions they ask if we were having a problem. I explained what had happened with the engine and that I was having trouble getting it started. The Captain of the Navy ship came on the line and said he would send help. So as this Navy ship is moving at full speed they lower their tender in the water with 6 personnel aboard to come over to help. In no time they were alongside our boat with 2 ships mechanics, customs and quarantine officers, and an Officer in charge.

When they boarded our boat I am not sure who was more excited the navy guys or Barbara. She had the camera out taking pictures and having them pose one way and then another. They were there on business but you could tell they were really enjoying this. The mechanics went to work trying to figure out what was wrong. They were eager to help but lacking some experience on this type boat. We got out the operators manual and while one read the other went through the engine compartment looking at various fluid levels and checking to see what he could find. I had already done all that but what the heck let them look again. I could see we were not making much progress so I called another cruiser (my golfing buddy, John), who was close by and ask him what I could try. He suggested that I might try laying a screwdriver across the 2 terminals on the back of the starter motor. The mechanics found the starter, and we then used the screwdriver to get the engine started. The mechanics were very happy with their accomplishment and Barbara took some more pictures and then they were off to the mother ship. We decided that we wouldn't stop the engine again until we were at the marina but were pretty sure the problem would not come up again even if we stopped.

That was the excitement of the trip. Other than that it was a calm and peaceful passage. We are now at the Marina in Opua getting the boat worked on and ready for our next journey. It has been a great summer with many memories and we can't wait to head back to the islands next year. This is Destiny standing by on 1-6.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

Monday, November 2, 2009

Captain's Log November 2,2009

Captain's Log November 2, 2009

As we start the day the winds have died and the seas are calm. According to the weather maps sometime in the early morning the winds should shift around to the SW. When that happens we will be able to put the boat on a direct course for the North Cape of New Zealand. As I said in one of my earlier reports it takes about 3 days to adjust to the boat at sea. The first day out it is difficult to get to sleep so Barbara and I both sit in the cockpit and talk till almost 11. That gets us out of sync with our watch schedule. So for tonight we just go with when you get tired bring the other person on deck. Not much of a schedule but it will get us through the night.

At about 3 am without turning the boat the wind shifts to the SW and the sails flop over to a starboard tack. I don't think I have ever been on a boat when we changed tack without touching a line. I know some of you out there have no idea what I'm talking about but take my word it's pretty cool.

After the wind shift the winds pick up and we are able to turn the motor off and just use the sails. You would think being in the open ocean and the South Pacific just using the sails for power would be pretty common. That is not the case and especially this year. I would say that during our passages about 40% of the time we use motor only, about 40% with motor and sail and just 20% with sail only. When we are able to just sail it is real special. This was one of those days. From about 10AM till 7PM we had a great sailing day. Seas were calm, the wind was between 15-20 kts and the wind was coming at us from a right angle to the boat or what we call beam reach. This boat can really fly when it gets those conditions. A fun time was had by all.

Mechanically speaking no new issues to report. We are currently 170 miles NW of North Cape New Zealand (32 48 S,170 29 E). Our ETA into Opua is Thursday, Nov 5th sometime before noon. I am happy to report all is well aboard Destiny. This is Destiny clear and standing by on 1-6.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Captain's Log November 1, 2009

Captain's Log November 2, 2009
We had a great stay at Norfolk Island. The anchorage was rough with a great deal of swell. Other than that it was a great stop. I even got to play a round of golf which is always good. Still can't get over how nice all the people were. One of the locals left a car down at the wharf where the boats were anchored and anyone who needed a car or wanted to go sightseeing could use as needed, keys were in the ignition. The weather has changed and will give us a weather window to get to New Zealand so, Sunday November 1, we are off.

Currently the boat has a few mechanical problems that we will need to address when we get to Opua. The generator is down which is not good because we can't make water. I have done all the fix it stuff that I can do out here so we will need the experts to take a look at it when we get to port. We have plenty of water, cokes, and beer on board as long as we don't have to be out here longer than planned. The aft head is also out of commission but I am pretty sure it is just a wire connection that I can't get to while we are at sea. I guess if it was an emergency and the other toilet went out I could get it operational again. Not real important right now because we have 2 heads. Except for those 2 items and replacement of our house battery bank it has been a good cruising season, mechanically speaking, on Destiny.

We Left Norfolk Island around 0830 Sunday morning the 1st of Nov. Seas were pretty lumpy and tended to come at us head on. Our original plan was to sail a southeast course straight to Opua, but the winds were right on the nose for the fist 20 hours, so we had to alter course and head due south, waiting for the westerlies that were supposed to have come by now. We are now beginning to get a shift in the winds and at around 0400 AM turned more to the southeast. The weather is perfect and tonight is a full moon. Nothing better than sailing with the moon out. All is well on board and we have had a good first day out with 3 more to go. This is Destiny standing by on 1-6.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com